How to make the most from a small AdWords budget:
From the outside AdWords looks very attractive, you simply set up your campaigns, set it and forget, and watch the inquiries come in.
The facts are, without a good strategy in place it is likely you will be throwing your money away with very little results! To create a great adwords campaign with a limited budget you will need to understand some basics strategies to implement a successful campaign for your business.
1. If you don’t have an effective landing page and your website is not optimised for mobile then stick to desktop search.
Mobile visitors are the least likely to convert on a non-responsive page especially if your landing page is not ideal.
Best practice tip: Create Targeted & Conversion Optimised Landing Pages
An important component of your ad quality score is your landing page, which is judged on the parameters of relevance, content originality, transparency, and navigability. You will not get conversions from poorly structured or outdated landing pages.
2. Limit your ads to key days/ key times that makes sense to your business.
Think about days and times that your visitors are more likely to search and when you are able to reply. If you take too long to reply to an inquiry then it is likely that they will look elsewhere.
3. Restrict your search area to localised search queries.
You can set a limit of area that your ads will appear or simply target one area close by your business.
4. Focus the budget on the keywords that are cost effective.
In some industries adwords is extremely competitive. For example, a search for “web design agency is $8.65 a click, whereas “Design agency” is $4 a click. So, it pays to look for unique and longer keywords to compete effectively on a smaller budget. Your best performing keywords are those that bring in conversions at the lowest price.
5. Make use of the “negative keywords” function.
It lets you exclude all the words associated with your expressions that don’t represent the needs of your target audience.
6. Make sure you have exact match set up for keywords instead of Broad Match.
Pro Tip: Keep your PPC expenditure in control, keep exact match or phrase match keywords. Speaking of web services industry, choosing exact match keywords such as [web design company] will not display your ad for terms like “website design company” or “web design agency”.
Manage your campaigns rigorously
7. The first rule to follow is to not spread yourself too thin.
Don’t create more than 3 campaigns at first so that you can manage them properly. Work on your segmentation and avoid keyword overlaps at all costs, so you’re not “paying” for them multiple times.
8. You can use effective ad extensions to make your ads more attractive; they have a definite effect on the click-through rates.
9. Generally speaking, you should adopt a very strict monitoring process; monitor the quality index for each keyword.
However, it’s not necessary to make changes every 5 minutes; wait until you have a certain visibility over time. Although it’s good to perform tests, it’s best to limit this practice if you have a tight budget. And above all, remove the keywords that aren’t working!
10. Refine your ads by trying as hard as possible to attract your genuine prospects and “scaring off” internet users who don’t belong to your target audience.
For example, you can specify the price of your product, which will prevent those looking for very low rates from clicking on your ad.
11. Avoid Dynamic Search Ads:
These ads are not triggered by specific keywords chosen by you. Instead they are displayed when someone searches for anything related to the content of your landing page. While this seems convenient, it often results in irrelevant impressions and clicks, which push your daily budget up.
12. Make sure you have conversion tracking in place
Not tracking conversions is essentially like driving down a windy road, in the dark, without your glasses. There is no clarity as to whether your marketing efforts are actually working. You could be wasting your money and time on Pay Per Click due to a lack of conversions.
To gain insight into what’s working and what’s not you need to by measure the conversions so you can see what campaigns, adgroups, keywords, ads, and landing pages are receiving the most conversions and make changes accordingly.
We can help you to set up all of these steps and create a cost effective adwords campaign that can grow with your business. Speak to us to set up your adwords and remarketing campaign today.
Get in touch with us here to receive a quote on how we can help improve your AdWords strategy accordingly to your budget.